This Design Development was successful, because while doing research and recreating others work, I’ve also been playing around with Photoshop to create a personal poster. While creating it, I realised that a few changes are needed. So I decided to use bright colours, inspired by the psychedelic style, so the it will keep the viewers eyes moving and make the whole outcome standout between all the other posters. I am really happy with my outcome, due to its clear and notable look.
In this project I’ve been asked to produce a poster for one of the most well-known festivals in Britain. This poster should appeal to different ages and interests. In my opinion my design is more directed to the younger generation because it connects more style-wise and colour-wise. The younger generation these days is happy to stand out in different ways, so seeing this colourful piece in between of dark and faded other posters might wake their interests. It also represents the psychedelic style, which keeps to come back as a trend in advertising. The psychedelic style in my opinion is an amazing way to make your art special and extravagant, but also draws people’s attention to it.
While producing the outcome I experienced, that there are more poster styles then expected. People often manipulate typography as well as images to make the work seem special and outstanding. Next to manipulating things, they often use different styles, like the minimalism style. In my chase I’ve been trying to use uncommon colours within the psychedelic style, to create a new illusion in advertising. During the work process, collecting a lot of information through primary research and secondary research, helped to get the project to know and to give some inspiration for my own work. Especially recreating the work of others helped me to experiment more with diverse sections on Photoshop I haven’t used before. Through the experimenting I got to my final poster (at the top).
I’ve been asked to conduct secondary research into the LIFF, which I have done via browsing online to get as much information about the festival as possible. I found most of it on the official website as well as on google. After researching the LIFF we went to Leeds, as a class, to collect some ephemera to use within our work. I took some pictures and collected a different range of leaflets I liked to use as inspiration. Using Pinterest and Instagram I started doing my secondary research on artists and designers, which would show me as well a diverse variety of work and their styles, as well as techniques. In addition to my researches of Saul Bass, Paula Scher, Alan Fletcher, Armin Hofman and Swissted, I was able to get more ideas to use techniques and processes including styles. I also recreated 3 designers/artists pieces to experience different techniques on Creative Media, which I thought was really successful since it was an important step leading to my final outcome. Producing ten initial ideas, I could see how my development went better, so I was able to have a choice at the end, which one I was going to produce. During our classes, we had a crit, were we presented our ideas to get other students feedback and opinion to get the chance to develop our ideas and make them rather outstanding. I developed my strongest idea through experimentation and mocked it up, to see how the outcome would look like. All of these steps were done independently and coherently and were creatively presented on my blog, using moodboards.
My strengths in this project I feel were collecting research of different artists and designers and producing inital ideas using inspiration of collected ephemera. I think I managed using most of the new techniques on Photoshop. The only problems I had within this work was finding the right colours to use. But all in all I think I made a great development in Photoshop during this project.
My only weakness in this project was in my opinion the loss of time due to work. I couldn’t plan enough time into my work, which ended up in a rush.
If I were asked to do the project again, I would probably go to Manchester to get some inspiration and photography of the posters hanging around there. I think that would have given me a total different path on my outcome. I would also try to manage the time with work better, which would give me more time to concentrate on my priorities, which is college.
If I had more time I would have experimented more on Creative Media and use the help of some tutorials, just to widen the possibilities for my creations.
While working on this project I learned new techniques on Photoshop furthermore developed my skills as a whole on this media. I learned how to successfully produce initial ideas, using inspiration from e.g. Pinterest. Creating the final outcome, I got the experience of the different layout for posters, which I think is important to know for future projects or jobs. During researching, I also researched independently of my tasks, the different styles of graphic design and their details, which was really helpful for me. This will be useful all the time to for example annotate the work.
In my opinion this project wasn’t unsuccessful but it could have been better for me. I am definitely not unhappy with my outcome, but thinking of the time I have lost due work, I believe I could have done better on this project with better time management. However for future purposes I think this project was successful because of the new skills I learned.
I really enjoyed this area of graphic design. It gave me a theme and I had to represent it in an outstanding way. It was based on branding an actual event, which passes the feeling to do a realistic job for them. I think that’s the reason I tried to do my best even more.